Gudi Padwa is the first day of the first month (Chaitra) of a year for the people of Maharashtra, thus marking the beginning of a New Year according to the Hindu lunisolar calendar. The festival falls generally in the month of March, sometimes in April, dates of which differ every year. It holds a special significance for the people of Maharashtra as it”s considered an auspicious occasion to buy ornaments, houses and other new things.
The day also marks the end of one agricultural harvest and the beginning of another. For so many unique reasons, Gudi Padwa is celebrated with enthusiasm and like any other festival, mouth watering feasts is also an inseparable part of the merriment. There is a whole variety of traditional Gudi Padwa dishes that double the joy of being together with the family on the first day of New Year.
Happy Gudi Padwa Recipes | Gudi Padwa 2017 Recipes Ingredients | Gudi Padwa Recipes Preparation
- 2½ cups plain Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp warm Milk
- ¼ tsp Saffron
- ¼ tsp Cardamom powder
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp raw Pistachio Nuts, skinned and chopped
Also Check: Gudi Padwa Puja Vidhi & Tithi
- Put the yogurt in a muslin bag and hang it up for 4-5 hours to drain whey.
- Soak saffron in milk for 30 minutes.
- Whisk the drained yogurt, sugar, saffron milk and cardamom together until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Put in a dish and chill until set. Garnish with the nuts.
Puran Poli Recipe
- 1 cup Chana Dal
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1½ cups Maida
- 1 pinch Saffron powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 8 tbsp Oil
- 2-3 Cardamom pods
- Sieve maida into a bowl. Add saffron powder in ½ cup water and mix it with maida.
- Knead well using a little oil to make the dough soft.
- Keep the dough aside for 1 to 2 hours.
- Wash chana dal and allow it to boil in water till it becomes soft.
- Decant water on top. Put sugar to the cooked dal.
- Turn over constantly till lumps are formed.
- Without adding more water, grind it into a smooth paste.
- Before removing, put cardamom and grind some more.
- Puran is now ready.
- Make lime-sized pellets of puran and an equal number of pellets of the dough.
- Dust the latter with some maida and roll into small puris.
- Keep a pellet of puran on top of each puri.
- Enclose it fully with the puri by folding up the edge all around.
- Spread a newspaper on wooden board.
- Roll the poli balls on it, into puris.
- Keep chapathi tawa on a low flame.
- Roast polis on both sides gently, 2 to 3 at a time.
- Lay the roasted puran polis on a clean piece of cloth.
gudi padwa lunch menu
gudi padwa food menu
gudi padwa recipes in marathi
food prepared on gudi padwa
gudi padwa sweet
what is gudi padwa
gudi padwa 2017